Friday, January 14, 2011

This is the greatest column in American history

Richard Cohen, who for the last decade has been infallibly the last person to get the joke, writes the most jaw-droppingly inconceivable column in American history. I am so, so sorry I missed this at the time.

Cohen actually begins his column with what should be immortal lines...

"First, let me state my credentials: I am a funny guy."

As if that isn't tremendous enough, he later comments on one of the funniest lines in the history of American political comedy.

He referred to the recent staff changes at the White House, chiding the media for supposedly repeating the cliche "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" when he would have put it differently: "This administration is not sinking. This administration is soaring. If anything, they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg." A mixed metaphor, and lame as can be.

I can't say enough about this column. Go read it. It's tremendous stuff.